In November of 1873, Rev. S.W. Seibert, a circuit rider pastor based in Newport, PA came to Patterson (later called Mifflin) and began holding religious meetings in an old frame school house on Foster Street (Mifflin Hill). In 1874, a lot was secured on the corner of Foster & Licking Streets and a church was built and Union Sunday School was formed. Sometime later Evangelical Sunday School organized and Union Sunday School disbanded.
After fifty years of growth, Evangelical Church & Sunday School was in need of more space for services. Rev. H. C. guthrie began the plans for a new church and secured the present site on the corner of Juniata & Tuscarora Streets (Mifflin Flat) in 1923. A "supper garage" was built as a means to raise money and the houses on the purchased site were moved in tact to Foster Street and then sold.
Due to Rev. Guthrie's failing health, Rev. E.E. Fulcomer then took charge of the construction process. Excavation began in 1925 (cellars dug by hand), the corenerstone was laid on September 6, 1925, erection of the church and parsonage began in April 1926, and the dedication ceremony, with Bishop M.T. Maze presiding, took place on February 20, 1927. The pews, stained glass windows, doors and inside trim were purchased from M.P. Mohler.
Soon after the new church building was occupied, the "Great Depression" struck. The congregation struggled to meet its obligations, and then the "Flood of 1936" hit causing great damage. The church members helped with the necessary repairs and held regular "fnd raising" supper.
In 1946, the Evangelical and united Brethren Churches merged froming the Evangelical united Brethren church. On February 23, 1947, a "Note Burning" service was held when the debt for building the church was finally paid off. The delegates sent to Annual Conference that year asked that Trinity Evangelical united Brethren Church be removed from the missions list as the church was now self-supporting.
In 1968, the EUB and Methodist Church merged forming the United Methodist Church leading to our present name Trinity United Methodist Church.
Tragedy again struck with the "Flood of 1972" causing $60,000 worth of damage and resulting in a debt of over $29,000 that would not be paid off until 1988. Again the congregation of Trinity Church met this challenge, and the building was completely repaired in a matter of months.
In 1991, an adjacent house was purchased and provided to Shelter Services for temporary housing for families in need. This structure was later removed. In 2016 this area became a community garden. In 2017 this area was turned into a grassy yard area to be used for church outreach ministry.
In 1994, Trinity tots Preschool was formed and continues to this day.
Trinity Church today, after more than 140 years in existence and more than 90 years in the existing building, has stood the test of time and storm. May the dedication and aspirations of all the leaders and members throughout the past inspire the congregations today and in the future and may Trinity church continue to shine brightly in and through the lives of her faithful members.
In 2017 Trinity church went through a re-visioning process. The church emerged with a new unified sense of purpose. In order to complete our mission (to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world) Trinity church envision ourselves sharing the gospel and love of God by creating authentic relationships and providing for the needs of the local community. Trinity UMC will provide a discipleship path in order to help new believers grow in their faith and deepen their relationship with Jesus Christ.
Our vision is simplified by saying we are focused on: Loving God, Caring for Each Other, Helping our Neighbors, Sharing the Gospel Message OR LOVING, CARING, HELPING, SHARING!
Our current goals are to:
Offer 1 lay development class per year with 5 people attending from Trinity UMC.
Connect with every member on our roles within 1 year.
Create 3 community outreach events in the next 3 years.
Have an average worship attendance of 100 people within 5 years, having at least 1 new Profession of Faith each year.